As a founder of a 22 + year old cosmetic company I have a lot of thoughts on this. Going back to when AMAZINGCOSMETICS® was a newbie, we too benefited from some of the positive aspects that come with being the new kid on the block. However, when you’re starting out and in the midst of just getting your company going you don’t necessarily look at it that way. But don’t get me wrong, we're grateful for the attention and support we got from all over. Including customers that wanted to try something new since concealer wasn’t even a category to makeup artists, press and even some retailers brave enough to take a chance on us.
To use a popular term, we bootstrapped and in fact do so to this day. I’ll admit that I did believe and naively so that things would get easier but honestly, they’ve just gotten harder (word of warning to those thinking of launching a brand😳). When you’ve been around for as long as we have, let’s just say that we’ve seen it all.
What can a brand with some moss growing under its feet bring to its customer vs. a new one? Let me count the ways:
1. Trust in the founders because if they’re still around, then I’d hope you’d realize we’re committed.
2. Speaking of founders, it’s still the two of us plus our tiny team working our butts off to bring you world class formulations.
3. Products that stand the test of time. If you’re a customer whose been around the block with us, you’ll see that we don’t have a ton of SKUs. That’s purposeful. At launch we promised each other and our client base that our focus was an edited assortment with products that did what they said they’d do.
4. Relationships, long standing ones with suppliers which means we can bring you the best of the best.
5. You know you can reach us and communicate with the internal team. We’re small. You can talk to us, and we love to talk with you. If you’re a longtime customer and have called the office, then you probably know Meri Beth our ‘amazing’ wearer of all hats but especially that of making you happy.
6. We know the industry. The truths and the untruths so please know we’ll never just take you for a ride so that we may make a profit. We probably could be bigger and richer if we operated with impunity, but we must get our beauty sleep at night 😘
7. We’re not going to jump on every trend. Whether its product or social media. After doing this for so long believe me trends come and go. And ignoring a lot of them is probably one of the reasons we’re still around.
We were once the shiny penny and to be fair everyone deserves their moment. Launching a brand and getting it up and running is hard work. Even harder is keeping it going. None of it’s for the faint of heart, but it is possible, and we say kudos to all that are doing it. Especially those without funding or a known name propping them up. Even so we hope there’s room for everyone. All we can say is if our products continue performing for you and our company’s values align with yours then we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your on-going support. We’re truly grateful for each and every one of you.